Singing your heart out to your favourite ballads in a private themed karaoke room, complete with three course meal and unlimited drinks. Sound like your ideal night out? Then karaoke is a must!
Originating in Japan, the Japanese know how to do karaoke and they do it well. Modern day establishments tend to offer private rooms for guests, just like Lovenet, so you can leave your inhibitions behind and sing to your hearts content as loud as you can, with the audience only you and your exclusive party of people. If you’re not shy and prefer to perform to the masses, old fashioned karaoke bars can also be found in entertainment districts. These tend to be small drinking spots, catering to male clientele.
During my visit to Tokyo, my friends and I booked a room at Lovenet (now closed) which was situated in Roppongi and was our ticket to a fun night on the mic. Each of the private karaoke rooms here catered to different sized groups and had themes that ranged from candy store, to Moroccan boudoir or a large Jacuzzi for you and 13 friends. The food was delicious, the service impeccable and the tunes covered all of the greats (and not-so-greats).
How to crush it at karaoke:
- Leave your inhibitions at home
- Choose a few songs – mix it up with some well known greats plus something you haven’t tried before! (this means you’ll have some back up’s should somebody else choose one of your songs)
- Accompanying dance routines aren’t necessary but are absolutely applauded – so go ahead and shake what your mamma gave you! (just keep an eye on the edge of that stage Beyoncé)
- If you can orchestrate a killer duet, stand up with a friend (great option if you’re a first timer or a little shy)
- Support your fellow singers! Cheer loudly and applaud until your hands hurt!
- But most of all…have fun!